Virginia Woolf wrote in Three Guineas that dress not only covered nakedness, gratified vanity and created pleasure for the eye "but it serves to advertise the social, professional, or intellectual standing of the wearer."

I enjoy wearing a suit. I wish I could wear one more often.
There I said it. In this modern age, when I put on a great fitting suit I feel like I am strapping on a suit of armor. Confidence, bravado, and self-esteem automatically rise. Now I didn't say putting on any suit will see the boost in self-image, I said a great fitting suit did. I am no style sartorialist, but I've read enough articles and purchased a few suits to formulate what I consider some basic principles behind suits that fit well for me.

Here are a couple of tips:
-Shoulders pads of jacket do not go over your own shoulders. They should hug it, not restrain them either.
-Try a size smaller than what you normally think. As long as you feel comfortable in it and not in danger of ripping anything, chances are you will look good in it.
-Vent! No, I mean have some sort of vent in your coat. Be it side vents or a single vent, have it and that is end of story. If not, have a tailor alter your coat. I prefer the side vents.
-Customize, get a tailor and change the jacket to fit your body. Like I learned in my Ergonomics Laboratory, there is no such thing as an average body size.

I have to note that I favor the more European look of suits than those of American suits, primarily because of the modern/slim cuts and appearance that the suit fits comfortably but fits well.

How do you like to wear your suit? Or why do you disapprove of wearing a suit? Post a comment.

0 comments:

Subscribe Now:

 Subscribe Add to Google Reader or Homepage



Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.